Kelly Services Technical Writer/Editor - Manuscripts - NIH - Research Triangle Park, NC in Durham, North Carolina
Technical Writer/Editor – Scientific Manuscripts and Publications * NIH * Research Triangle Park, NC
Kelly Government Solutions is a strategic supplier and business partner to the federal government and its key suppliers. Through our partnership with the National Institutes of Health, Kelly Government Solutions offers administrative, IT, engineering, scientific, and healthcare professionals the opportunity to work with one of the most prestigious research organizations in the world. We are currently seeking a Technical Writer/Editor to work with the NIH/National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences in Research Triangle Park, NC.
This is a long-term contract position which offers:
Competitive salary with comprehensive benefit package
Opportunity to work at NIH, world's foremost medical research center
Learn more about what Kelly can do for you at www.kellygovernmentsolutions.com
TASKS/SERVICES : The contractor shall:
(1) Screen original research papers, reviews and commentaries that are undergoing peer review and are being returned to authors for revisions; provide written instructions to authors as needed, in consultation with the Science Editor or Editor-In-Chief (EIC).
Confirm that competing financial interests (CFI) declaration in manuscript is consistent with CFI declaration form, and that required information about ethical approval and the use of human or animal subjects is provided in the manuscript.
Confirm that the manuscript, including the abstract, citations and references, figures, tables, and any supplemental material, is appropriately formatted; provide instructions to correct problems as needed.
Screen for titles, subheadings and figure titles that include declarative statements about conclusions, and for methods text in Supplemental Material files.
Check results tables and figures to confirm that required information is provided, e.g., a measure of precision for estimates from statistical models.
Consult with the EIC or Science Editor about findings from the screen and how to proceed.
(2) Screen papers that have been recommended for acceptance to determine whether revisions are required before publication; communicate with authors about required revisions as needed, in consultation with the Science Editor or EIC.
Check for unsupported declarative statements about conclusions in the abstract, introduction and discussion sections.
Evaluate main text tables for complex formatting problems that would impede accessibility requirements and provide examples of alternative layout to authors.
Perform a random check of 3-5 sources to confirm that they are consistent with the information they are meant to support.
After consulting with the EIC or Science Editor, email authors to indicate that they have the option of waiving an internal final review (unless the EIC or Science Editor indicates that a final review will be required), and follow up regarding the expected time to complete a final review (if authors request one).
Manage correspondence and follow-up with authors concerning revisions required before the manuscript can be accepted.
Evaluate revised files to confirm that requested changes were made.
(3) Collaborate with the Science Editor on internal final reviews of selected papers.
Check citations and references to confirm that they are appropriate.
Check results tables and figures for obvious problems with data, including numbers of observations that do not add up, unidentified missing data, point estimates that fall outside of confidence interval bounds.
Confirm that numeric data reported in the text are consistent with corresponding values in tables and figures.
Confirm that tables and figures are correctly cited in the text.
Perform an initial evaluation of revised files to confirm that authors complied with final review requests; inform the Science Editor of requests that were not followed.
Evaluate revised information to confirm that new problems have not been introduced during the revisions.
Manage correspondence and follow-up with authors concerning the final review
(4) Errata and retraction requests:
- Perform an initial evaluation of errata or retraction requests submitted by authors and discuss with EIC and Science Editor.
(5) Assist the Editor-In-Chief and Science Editor with new submissions
Assign new submissions to the Science Editor as appropriate (i.e., papers that concern human subjects research but are not labeled as epidemiology).
Check papers with high duplication scores, and confirm that authors of papers that have been revised and resubmitted have permission to do so.
Check papers with high iThenticate scores upon request by the EIC or Science Editor.
Upon request by the EIC or Science Editor, search for recent manuscripts on the same topic as the submitted manuscript in PubMed and Editorial Manager.
Generate reports on page views, Altmetric scores, and citations of research papers, including recent publications, publications receiving high levels of attention and specific publications.
Perform periodic checks to confirm that recent EHP publications are included in Web of Science; submit requests for corrections or additions to the database as needed.
Upon request by the EIC, record meeting minutes and action items, and follow-up with staff responsible for action items.
(7) Attend and prepare summaries of meetings and seminars.
(8) Update Environmental Health Perspectives documentation.
REQUIREMENTS : The contractor ideally would have:
(1) Master’s degree in a related discipline.
(2) Minimum of three (3) years of related experience in scientific publications and manuscripts.
(3) Understanding of basic scientific concepts relevant to environmental health, consistent with academic training and research experience in a scientific field.
(4) Prior experience with scientific/scholarly publishing as an author or coauthor of research manuscripts published in a peer-reviewed journal (preferred), or as an employee of a scientific journal that publishes peer-reviewed research.
(5) Familiarity with standard elements of a research manuscript, including abstracts; introduction, methods, results, and discussion sections; citations and references; tables and figures.
(6) Familiarity with PubMed and PubMed Central.
(7) Familiarity with ethical issues relevant to scholarly publishing, including authorship, competing financial interests, human and animal subjects requirements, duplicate publication and plagiarism.
(8) Familiarity with basic statistics, statistical models and software.
(9) Experience generating reports using data from a project management or manuscript tracking database.
(10) Hands-on experience with a manuscript submission and tracking system (e.g., Editorial Manager, ScholarOne), or with a project management database, is a plus.
(11) Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Adobe Acrobat, and email clients such as Microsoft Outlook.
(12) Strong communication skills, both oral and written.
(13) Excellent analytical, organizational and time management skills.
PLEASE APPLY ONLINE
Note that the phone number for our NIH branch is not listed. Due to the high volume of inquiries, we regret that we cannot accept phone calls. All qualified candidates will be contacted.
Once you have applied online to the position, if you have specific questions, you may contact us at email@example.com
AboutKelly Services ®
As a workforce advocate for over 70 years, we are proud to have a role in managing employment opportunities for more than one million workers around the globe. We employ 550,000 of these individuals directly with the remaining workers engaged through our talent supply chain network of supplier partners. Revenue in 2015 was $5.5 billion. Visit kellyservices.com and connect with us on Facebook , LinkedIn and Twitter .
Kelly Services is an equal opportunity employer including, but not limited to, Minorities, Females, Individuals with Disabilities, Protected Veterans, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Equal Employment Opportunity is The Law. at https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm